Ten Questions with Cambiu’s CEO Yonatan Brand
1.What is Cambiu?
Cambiu creates the first currency marketplace that allows users to conveniently find money changers located near them that offer the most attractive rates. Additionally, Cambiu’s service also enables users to purchase currency online with a credit card prior to embarking on their trip. Users can then choose if they would like to have their money delivered to them or organize a pickup location from one of the money changers Cambiu has partnered with.
2. What real-world problem are you solving?
Due to the lack of convenient access available to travelers to find the best outlet to exchange foreign currency, many often end up changing their money at airports or at the first money exchange shop they can find. This results in them receiving poor rates in comparison to the spot exchange rates available online and losing their money’s worth. Cambiu’s service ultimately provides the perfect solution for this ongoing issue by enabling consumers to find the best outlets to exchange their currency at their greatest convenience and no longer have to worry about being ripped off on currency exchange.
3. Who is the company’s ideal customer and how does the company currently approach them?
Cambiu’s target customers are online travel agents (OTAs) who are willing to implement Cambiu’s service as an ancillary. However, in general, the users consist of everybody who needs to exchange their money when travelling since Cambiu’s service enables users to find the best possible deal.
4.What separates you from your competitors?
Some examples of our competitors are P2P currency exchange companies, TravelersBox, airport money changers and many others. What separates Cambiu from our competitors is that we are both convenient and cheap, while our competitors our just either convenient or cheap, not both. With Cambiu, users do not have to worry about being limited to exchanging only certain currencies, being faced with high rates, meeting up with strangers, and only being able to exchange their leftover currency to gift cards or to their PayPal account. They can simply just exchange their money into cash at the most attractive rate available to them close by.
5. What is the most important thing you’re working on right now?
We are currently working on 2 major important vectors:
- To make it easier to implement Cambiu into websites and applications in a streamlined way
- Onboard as many FX service providers into the system to allow service in different geographies and in different methods
6. How do you monetize your product?
We collect a small fee from the service providers for each deal we help facilitating.
7. What is current growth like?
We are launching 3 new partnerships which will help us reach new markets and users. We are expanding quickly with onboarding service providers to the system. However, since we are acquiring users in a B2B2C model the partnerships take longer than usual to develop.
8. What are three goals for Cambiu within the next three years?
- Become the biggest marketplace for FX transaction in the world (by number of users).
- Drive conversation rates down for users without negatively impacting the small exchange shops.
- Become cashflow positive.
9. What are the greatest obstacles for the company this year, and how are you planning on overcoming them?
Reaching out to big OTAs and persuading them to sell currency as an ancillary, which is something that hasn’t been done before. We therefore have to make it very simple and appealing to successfully convince the OTAs to partner with us.
10. At the moment, how do you measure success? What are your metrics?
For us, success is considered sophisticating the FX market. This entails users choosing to actually execute the cheaper and better deals we offer.